“ a compromise formula which includes a proposal to take top 20% students based on percentile ranking of respective boards for preparing the merit list”

How meaningless is this solution ?. Higher education in India will become the domain of the school toppers and Children of affluent parents and we wonder why half a million students leave India to study undergraduate courses overseas. Children who will never return to a country that shunned them.

Is this is what we call inclusive in RTE ?.

God Save India

Inclusive education does not mean that everyone must enter, or pass out from, an IIT. It only means that if you wanted to, you could have a shot at it. The child labourer is excluded because she can never dream of entering an IIT; she may absolutely hate IIT, but not trying to join an IIT should be her decision. Even if there is only one IIT train, every child must have access to the platform where the train comes. Of course, not everyone will get on to the train but everyone knows what to do to have a shot at the train. This is called inclusion in education. Everyone must go to school till class 12; those who work hard, and are willing to work harder still, will join an IIT. Others will, by choice, decide not to work that hard and become economists.

Shubhashis Gangopadhyay


All children are born equal and mindless politicians are trying to grade the children and youth of the nation and create a new Brahamanical Caste system in Education, which is pandering to the neo rich who can afford to send their children to elite private schools and Coaching schools.

"HRD Ministry of India wants to build castles of higher education on the bamboo scaffoldings of its schools" ~ Satish Jha

Search This Blog

"Do you support the effort of Government of India to introduce a Common Engineering Entrance Examination scrapping IIT-JEE which would eventually dilute the IIT Brand?"

Sunday, March 11, 2012

7 - Alumni drive to save IIT-JEE - Telegraph


Telegraph :: 06 June 2010
CHARU SUDAN KASTURI
New Delhi, June 5: Kapil Sibal’s proposal to abolish the IIT Joint Entrance Examination has triggered a wave of protests from the alumni of India’s premier engineering schools, leaving a worried government scurrying for a response.
Over 1,300 IIT alumni from diverse professions and from across the globe have joined a “save JEE” volunteers team and signed an online petition that was started on April 5 against the move to disband the IIT entrance examination. A core “save JEE” team of 31 alumni has sent the petition to the Prime Minister, all MPs and to Sibal, the human resource development (HRD) minister.
The petition dubs the IIT-JEE the “gold standard for engineering entrance examinations” and demands that it be retained. “This appeal is for the Government of India to set up an ‘Independent Commission’ to correct the flaws and abuses in the JEE system, and not to abolish the methodology,” the petition says.
The Telegraph had reported on March 24 that the HRD ministry had asked a panel of IIT directors to consider scrapping the IIT-JEE. The panel, headed by IIT Kharagpur director Damodar Acharya, was also asked to suggest a way to replace the JEE and other engineering entrance examinations held across the country — including state government engineering tests — with a common aptitude test.
The Acharya panel has since then recommended that a common examination testing students on parameters other than their knowledge of physics, chemistry and mathematics can indeed replace the IIT-JEE and other engineering tests.
But this common test would carry only 30 per cent weight in admissions to undergraduate engineering courses, with students’ scores in their Class XII board examinations accounting for the remaining 70 per cent, the panel had proposed.
The panel is now meeting the various stakeholders. It has told the HRD ministry that it may need to revise its proposals based on the feedback. HRD ministry sources said the petition from the IIT alumni had been sent to the Acharya panel, which has been asked to firm up a response.