Saturday, 11 February 2012 00:13 Pioneer News Service | New Delhi
A bizarre statement of IIT Dean Kharagpur has come to light in response to an RTI application stating, “The institute did not offer GATE performance-based admissions in various M Tech programmes at IIT in the academic year 2010-11.”
As per the documents available, the Central Information Commission has sought an affidavit from the Dean (Post Graduate Studies & Research) PKJ Mahapatra, to this effect.
GATE is conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology/Indian Institute of Science Bangalore for admissions to M Tech programme in various colleges of the country. IIT Delhi is the organising institute for 2012 examinations, scheduled on February 12. Its importance can be gauged by the fact that recently many PSUs started appointment of their engineers through GATE score alone, instead of taking their own examinations.
As per the directive of HRD Ministry, IIT seats in M Tech are filled through a merit list which is prepared based on GATE score (with at least 70 per cent weightage) with the remaining 30 per cent being based on the candidate’s academic record or interview.
Hence there is no denying the fact that in all IITs and IISc, that GATE score is crucial in admission to for M Tech programme, which optionally may be followed by an interview, as per the following MHRD guidelines.
In spite of the above, documents received in response to the RTI application stating that M Tech admissions were not based on GATE score in 2010-11 has raised eyebrows.
“The above is completely false”, charged the experts. The truth is that even after almost two years, IIT is not keen on disclosing the details, which should otherwise be in public domain. For the past 5 years, IIT has been taking different shields to disclose admission related information; many irregularities were surfaced in the past, they added.
But the required information should have been made available at least under RTI Act, they pointed out. The authorities seem to be taking advantage of the loopholes that it may take a year or two year due to long pendancy of appeals in CIC. Even then CIC hardly levy any penalty. The matters related to 2010 examinations are being heard now, when the admission related information has already become infructuous, they added.
The experts reminded that the controversy had erupted over JEE examination over lack of accountability and transparency. Unfortunately GATE is also treading on the same line